Friday 20 January 2012

The End Days Part 1


So it's been a while since I’ve written on here. Guess it doesn’t matter, I doubt anyone reads this. This is just my escape. I can tell the stories without fear of retribution. I can let out all that I wish to tell without worrying that my name will be attached to it.

 I’m just another storyteller, and this is just another story.

So I’m going to talking about the last few months of my enrollment at that school. Those months were nothing but pure turmoil. With the pressures of senior year, it was easy to become lost.

I had another dream about lions at the door; they weren't half as frightening as they were before. But I’m thinking about eternity, some kind of ecstasy got a hold on me.

Term 4, Senior Year
A new principal, hellbent on the eradication of students such as myself. An influx of newfolk, oblivious to tradition. Tempers soaring, making mistakes more likely. Rash decisions. Allegations, stories, truth? A camping trip, a fistfight. A change of scenery... day student? “A risk”.

Term summary: Disaster.

It all began with The Skull. He came upon a wave of mystery. Set to reign over us with an iron fist. Nothing stood in his way. No tradition left unmolested, no student left unharassed, why? The school had gotten a reputation, and not a good one at that. Needless to say, the previous regime had become lax, and the long fingers of anarchy came curling around the college. But that was all about to change.
Let me put forward two scenarios.

This is scenario A: I was downtown one afternoon with my good friend The Islander. Whilst stopping for our preferred beverage of Cookies & Cream MegaShake from Wendy’s, I received a phone call. On the other end, a voice. “Uh, hey man. Um... I was just wondering uh... if you could uh help me get some... stuff? You know...”. Needless to say he was talking about a certain psychoactive plant. Being the good friend that I am, I agreed to help him, and after a long day of no success, I finally found a source for him. I gave it to him, and we went on our merry ways.

This is scenario B: I was downtown one afternoon with my good friend The Islander. Whilst stopping for our preferred beverage of Cookies & Cream MegaShake from Wendy’s, I received a phone call. On the other end, a voice. “Uh, hey man. Um... I was just wondering uh... if you could uh help me get some... stuff? You know...”. Needless to say he was talking about a certain psychoactive plant. However, I had learnt through harsh experience never to do this. No matter who, as soon a network is formed and you’re caught in the middle of it. Every instinct I had warned me from this, and trusting my gut I replied in the negative. “Nah mate, I can’t do it. You’ll have to find someone else.”. And so I enjoyed my MegaShake, and the day was merry.

Flash forward 24 hours, the same person who had called me have been caught consuming cannabis during the night. At some point the day before, they must have gotten it from an individual. At some point, my name had been mentioned. I was public enemy number one, allegedly supplying minors with illegal substances. Suddenly, all contact with either of those individuals was cut. I didn’t know the story, I didn’t know how to deal with the situation.

Snitches get stitches.

Soon , an investigation begun, and I was the prime suspect. The new principal, striving to make a name for himself, needed a scapegoat. I was easy. “Past incidents with this sort of thing” was a line I heard a lot. But I couldn’t change the past, I had been lazy and gotten caught.
I was faced with a dilemma. A lose-lose situation. A game of Russian roulette with a fully loaded revolver. Option 1: I accepted that I couldn’t win against the system and resigned to my fate as a scapegoat for The Skull, leave boarding and complete senior year. Or Option 2: I could fight for my name to be cleared, but in the process be suspended from the college and not graduate that year. I had to make a choice, and I chose Option 1. I had waited for too long to finish, and I was going to graduate no matter what.

And so I left the dormitory. I said my goodbyes, and did what I needed to do.
I don’t know what I was feeling. It was a soul-crushing hollowness, and I almost had the sensation of falling that whole time. Where was I falling? A black dog had begun to follow me, and I would find in time that it would on grow bigger, and come closer. Bad times were coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment